Wednesday 5 October 2011

Wednesday October 5th

Tomatoes are gradually building up on our kitchen windowsill, there to complete the process of ripening. We have a small lean-to greenhouse which is in fact on the north side of the house, pretty much - so it often feels cooler in there than outside! But it's a sheltered place, and will be a good frost-free refuge for some of the tender stuff from the garden when it gets colder. And the tomatoes haven't done badly. I probably left a few too many trusses on, though, and not all the fruit are as large as I'd like. I planted two different varieties, but as usual I've forgotten what they were! I'm in awe of those gardeners who have everything identified and labelled - it isn't something I ever manage to achieve. A lot of the plants in the greenhouse will be cleared out in a fortnight's time to be put on sale at the church autumn fair, and it's then we'll be able to move some of the tender plants in from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment