Tuesday 4 October 2011

Autumn Poem


Brown-curled parchment driftings of the green lane's ancient haws

crunch beneath my boots; once again the year is dying,

and this shaded path is in transition. Those screaming swifts are now long gone

that once possessed this sky.

Quarrelsome starlings arrive to take their place, and only

the last few nervous swallows hold conversation along the wires, debating

their overdue departure. Beneath the coursing swifts of June

there had seemed so much time, too much to ever spend; but now

the north wind on my face breathes its tale of coming frosts,

and my account is overdrawn.

The farmyard beasts eye me across their muddy gate. For them

time has a different measure

and is not reflected upon. I walk on

towards the yellow smear of the disappearing sun,

leaving the swallows on their perching wires, to climb the hill path

and gaze across the hard land they will leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment