Saturday 8 October 2011

Saturday October 8th

Wales win in the Rugby World Cup, to make the semi-finals; England lose and queue for the plane home. Both those results have gone down very well this side of the border this morning. I attended a coffee morning where almost everyone seemed to be following the England-France match, and most of them were hoping for the defeat that saw England off.

I can be as passionate as the next person at following 'my' team, but it has never included any temptation to crow over the defeats of others. I suppose that, in a vague and unformed and rather Anglican way, I'd really quite like everyone to win. In theological terms, that makes me a universalist, I suppose . . . at any rate, it sets me at odds with those of my fellows who seem quietly to rejoice that not everyone is as saved as they are.

I confidently expect that when I go through the pearly gates (or however it is we get into heaven) that I shall meet people there whom I don't think ought to be there! But God isn't bound by the rules - just as well, really. Most of us don't take seriously enough the last few verses of the parable of the prodigal son . . . we do win, we get the prize, but we find it hard to approve when others who haven't maybe tried as hard as we have, or given enough up, or been able to tick off all the rules as securely kept, get to win as well.

But that's grace, and I'm glad of it. Hard luck, England (though I suspect Wales will do better against the French)!

No comments:

Post a Comment