Tuesday 27 March 2012

Feeding the Five Thousand

I was reading the story the other day, in the version given in chapter six of St Mark's Gospel, when it suddenly hit me. My apologies to those for whom this isn't a new idea, but it hadn't really broken through into my consciousness before - the direct connection there is between this story and our prayers.

I think that when we say prayers of intercession, whether in church on a Sunday or in our own private daily prayers, very often we're hoping for God to wave a magic wand and to make everything all right. And that's exactly what Jesus seems to be doing in this miraculous event. All these hungry people, out there in the remote place where Jesus had really gone in the hope of escaping from people - all of them were fed, and with food left over besides.

And yes, this is a story that speaks of the divine creative power that rests in Jesus and is at his disposal, and which is here seen expressed in a miracle of provision. But it isn't only that. Jesus doesn't magic the food out of nowhere. And here for me is an important little detail: what he says to his disciples, what he asks of them.

He does not say "What can you spare?" - he says "What have you got?" He does not ask from his disciples a charitable donation, he asks them to hand over all they've got. It isn't much, but that doesn't matter. It is all they've got, and when that is given, a miracle takes place.

If in our prayer we're secretly hoping that God might act so that we don't have to, our prayers will seem to be unanswered, I guess. If in our prayer we're offering a carefully measured and rationed out bit of ourselves to God, then - well, if we're offering something then I suppose something will be given in return, but it's hardly going to change the world, though it might just begin to be the start of changing us. But it's when we take the risk of offering everything that miracles happen. When our prayer for peace adds those wonderful words that we sing but don't always really mean, ". . . and let it begin with me."

Well, as I say, probably not a new thought, but it came fresh to me as I was reflecting on the story. It seems to make sense to my life and to my striving for faith; and perhaps it will add life and fire and a certain rash boldness to my praying. So I gladly share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment