Friday 16 March 2012

Ash & Bone

I was persuaded a little while ago to start reading the crime novels of John Harvey; and, having a passing acquaintanceship with Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire (and jazz, and Poland, come to that), I very much enjoyed his tightly plotted stories featuring Charlie Resnick. He is an excellent and very convincing writer of the 'police procedural' type of crime novel. "Ash & Bone", which I've just finished reading, is the first of his Frank Elder novels I've read (though in fact the second in the series, which might have slightly spoiled the first for me, when I get to it!), and I've been quite blown away by it. Here and there I'm reminded of John le Carre, and, throughout, I've been impressed by the convincing interplay between the three more or less separate crime cases under investigation. It all feels very real.

When this novel was first issued in 2005, one report read that it was "one of the best crime books you're likely to read this year." My verdict? Well, this kind of novel is one of my favourite choices of reading, and yes, it really is that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment