Monday 27 February 2012

Gifts

Well, I am newly arrived back from the funeral service at which we sang 'Glad that I live am I'. It was sung very well, as was 'Jerusalem', and a happy coincidence was that 'Glad that I live' was published in the year the lady we were remembering today was born. It was in many ways a happy and fitting service, sad too of course, certainly not without its tears, but most of all a celebration of a life, of that life's achievements, and of a person who remains special.

A chance also to reflect on gifts, on the blessings we receive on our journey of life, and how we use them. A good life passes on the blessings received, and is ready not only to accept gifts, but to freely give as well. I have been given a gift today - at the "tea" (actually champagne) after the funeral - and I shall treasure it. It is an Everyman's Library edition of William Blake's "Poems and Prophecies" that had belonged to the lady we had gathered to remember, and it will be treasured not only for what it is and contains, but also for the thanks and appreciation this gift conveys.

It is my job as a pastoral minister, but it is also an immense privilege, to have been able to be part of a day, an occasion, a celebration like today's. I am sure that all who attended will have a sense of having both given and received, as friends, as mourners, as family, as those who remember; may they all travel home with a sense also of God's presence and blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment