Friday 13 January 2012

Thank You

We don't say enough thank-you's, I feel. It's so easy to take for granted the ways in which other people put themselves out for you, are there for you at crucial times, give good service, offer useful advice. A couple of weeks back I made my way into a crowded shop in Oswestry; I was carrying my rucksack at the time, and to be honest I'm a bit of a hazard to other shoppers when I have that on - it's best to give me a wide berth! As I made my way through to the back of the shop, I heard a voice say, quietly but firmly, "You're welcome" - and I realised someone had made way for me, stood back so I could get through, and I hadn't even noticed, let alone said 'thanks'. I turned round, but couldn't see who had spoken. Well, I'm sorry - and I was grateful, really.

So - thank you to all the people I walk past, forget about, take for granted. Thank you to the people who are paid to serve me in shops and pubs and cafes, but nonetheless still deserve to be thanked, especially if they put a bit of effort in, like the lady yesterday in another shop in Oswestry who called me across to her counter so I could be served more quickly, and was full of happy chat. Today I'd like especially to thank the people who hold back from criticising me at the times when I can't handle it and just need to be supported, and I'd like to thank the people who don't hold back when, to be honest, I really do need to be told. Thank you as well to those special souls who, when I'm in a mess, quietly get on with things, and finish off the stuff I've left unfinished, or smooth the feathers I've managed to ruffle.

Oh, and thank you as well, to the people who remember or take the time to thank me . . . sometimes when I don't need or deserve it. And I must mention the young girl yesterday who stepped back to let me past along a narrow passageway with my bag full of shopping, and said 'thank you' to me at the same time as I said it to her! Just that little episode cheered up two people quite a lot, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment