Saturday 31 December 2011

Resolution

The last day of 2011. Last night I drove my daughter down to Luton airport through the driving rain and clouding spray - something of an epic journey, but completed safely and to time! As I returned on my own, with the roads quieter than before, I had some time to reflect on what resolutions I might take with me into 2012. I have always made resolutions, and generally they have remained private, whether kept or broken. These ones I'll share: you, dear reader, if you're there, are now my witness . . .

1 To be constant and persistent in prayer, taking seriously my calling as a Franciscan and - though presently the exercise of this calling is impaired - as a priest.

2 To write every day, and to begin again the daily journal that the events of last year brought to a close.

3 To increase my involvement in voluntary and charity work in the community, and to maintain a disciplined but generous approach to my use of time and talents.

4 To sing as much and as often as I can (and to smile as I do it)!

5 To keep physically fit by taking regular exercise and care with my diet: getting back into running and taking a decent solo walk each week, eating a little less at each meal and avoiding snacks.

6 To take time to visit and to share quality time with friends and family, recognising that, though I need time on my own, time with those closest to me is equally vital, for my needs and for theirs.

7 To go, with Ann, to at least one concert or play or similar event each month.

8 To enjoy life and the world around me, and to find in every day something to delight in and to be thankful for.

9 To read with more purpose, including a planned and disciplined reading of the Bible.

10 To review all of this on a regular basis, making it part of the rule of life I bring to my spiritual director; and, where I fail, not allowing that to become a reason or excuse for giving up on the project!

No comments:

Post a Comment