Sunday 25 December 2011

All Over Bar The Washing Up

. . . and time for a walk before that, on what might just be the mildest Christmas Day on record. I've attended some lovely Christmas services, and enjoyed more than perhaps I should not having to lead and prepare them. Having said that, the little choir I helped organise at Chirbury sang wonderfully (more their credit than mine) at a very well attended lessons and carols on Friday.

Christmas Day is always my day in the kitchen: turkey, nut roast, a cranberry and port sauce, new and roast potatoes, honey glazed roast parsnips, butternut squash, sweet potato, peas, Brussels sprouts (sorry, sprout haters, my favourite vegetable, despite the after effects!), then pud and custard (couldn't be bothered with brandy sauce). All rather good, though I say so myself - and an agreeable glass or two of red helped. So now to walk a bit of it off!

And to reflect on the message of the day, with John Betjeman's familiar words in mind: ". . . that God was man in Palestine / and lives today in bread and wine."

No comments:

Post a Comment