Monday 21 November 2011

Cleaning the car

I really need to find time to clean the inside of the car today! It's amazing how stuff builds up - old leaves and bits of grit that you bring in on your shoes, especially at this time of the year; fuel receipts and sweet papers, papers I've needed for a meeting and not needed afterwards, notes with directions to places I shan't need to find again, lollipop sticks (I never eat lollies, so I've no idea how these get into the car, but they do) . . . and loads of dust.

Physically, I find that it's a much more demanding task to clean the OUTSIDE of the car, but I need a lot more psyching up before I get to clean the INSIDE. I spent a little time wondering why, but of course the answer's obvious. Everyone gets to see the outside, and only I and those closest to me get to see the inside. As with so much in our lives, we're prepared to take much more time and trouble getting the bits everyone sees looking good, than we do on the bits that are mostly hidden from view.

Well, I've been spending a good deal of time over the past months getting to grips with the inside stuff - as should we all. Advent approaches, the start of a new Church year, one of the many chances the calendar gives us to clean up and start afresh. And if we think we don't need that, whoever and wherever we are, we're just fooling ourselves! Now, where did I put that car vacuum?

No comments:

Post a Comment