Friday 16 November 2012

Not Voting

I was one of the majority who did not vote for an elected police commissioner yesterday. Had I had the chance, I would have gone to the polling station in order to submit a protest spoiled paper, but in the end I couldn't be bothered to make the time in what was a very busy day. There was no independent candidate in Dyfed/Powys, and I object to the party politicisation of police administration. I'm not happy about centralising so much power in one person, elected or otherwise, anyway, but would I think have been prepared to vote for an independent, as in Gwent and North Wales. What is happening in this process is I think an attempt to increase the reach and power of the party political machine, while hiding this behind the fiction of greater democratic accountability.

No comments:

Post a Comment