Thursday 20 September 2012

The Angel on Next Door's Drive


Coming home after twelve
on a still and starless night
I saw an angel,
reclining in a tumble of white satin
on next door’s drive.

I blinked, and looked again.
This is not what you expect
on the night of a rainy Friday
here in grey and safe mid-Wales.


And there was, after all, no angel -
though what was there
was almost as wonderful.
A white peacock,
astray from the gardens up on the hill,
shook his crown,
rearranged his tail feathers,
and strutted away down our street,
all in complete silence.

And I went indoors,
to reflect later that if there really had been an angel
he might well have had a message to give,
and maybe things for me to do.
                                   Peacocks, I think, are probably safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment