Tuesday 11 September 2012

Jackdaw


                  
As the river turned black below the swirling willows
I turned my collar, hurried for home,
cursed the rain.  But cursing
isn’t really my thing, I don’t
do it very well;  certainly
it neither stopped the rain
nor warmed my heart.  And yet
maybe this curse conjured up something
(if you believe that sort of stuff):  a jackdaw,
young bird I suppose, crashed down in front of me on the path,
looked back in astonishment at my lumbering figure
but didn’t fly again, maybe couldn’t, or didn’t dare.
Instead, he busied along in front of me
till the path left the willows, to dive
into the shelter of some taller trees.

There I stopped, not as much breath
as I used to have.  And the bird stopped as well, looked at me again,
tipped his head to one side for a moment,
then hopped into a thicket of nettles and thorns
and was gone.

A dark angel to match me and maybe to cheer me too,
on this dark day?
Not all angels have white wings.  Or maybe we were
just kindred souls for a stretch,
man and bird, bird and man:  there’s
not that much between us,
two creatures of dust and ashes,
the product of our genetic chemistries -
except that he could have flown,
had he chosen to, or dared to.

No comments:

Post a Comment